TGC and Miller’s Children and Women’s Hospital Licensed Psychologist (The Guidance Center)
Job Posting: TGC and
Miller’s Children and Women’s Hospital Licensed Psychologist
Location: Long Beach Office, 1301 Pine Ave. Long Beach, CA 90813
Classification/Status: Exempt/ Full-Time – This is a one year grant funded position with the
possibility of annual renewal.
About The Guidance Center (TGC):
The Guidance Center is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We
operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including Long Beach, San
Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental
health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with
mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future. TGC offers a
competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403b with employer match, vacation,
and 12 paid holidays.
The fellowship is a collaboration between The Guidance Center (TGC) and Miller Children’s Hospital.
The full-time position provides a particular focus on 1) consultation/liaison with the Pediatric
medical team (pediatric ward and pediatric ICU), chaplains, and social work team and
2) mental health assessment and supportive treatment to patients and families who are in medical
crises. In addition, the psychologist is expected to attend to the emotional, cognitive, and
developmental needs of children who have co-morbid mental health and chronic physical health
conditions who are seen in the TGC Intensive Services program or where necessary to overcome
treatment barriers for vulnerable families. Cases seen in the outpatient clinic are referred
directly via hospital discharges.
Works well under pressure; meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and at all times
demonstrate ethical and cooperative behavior with staff, clients, visitors, and others associated
with The Guidance Center.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee job performance in order for The Guidance
Center to maintain efficient operations. Employee would be expected to report to work as scheduled
and on time.
• Therapy and diagnostic experience with pediatric populations and work in medical settings
• Experience with consultation and liaison and/or interdisciplinary consultation in a medical
• Experience providing training or teaching to non-psychology professionals
• At least two years of clinical supervision experience (may include time during graduate
• Experience with brief treatment modalities
• Doctoral degree (Ph.D. or Psy.D) from an APA-accredited institution AND completion of an
APA-accredited predoctoral internship program with children and families. Applicants who do not
meet both of these requirements will not be considered.
• Bilingual Spanish strongly preferred
Duties (but not limited to):
1. Participates in inpatient pediatric ward interdisciplinary rounds and provides mental health
consultation as necessary (1/2 hour daily for each of two wards)
2. Participates in care/family conferences as appropriate (variable; approximately 1 hour per
3. Provides consultation to multidisciplinary teams serving inpatients
4. Assesses harm to self or others and provide behavioral de-escalation of patients, family
members, and/or staff as necessary
5. Provides appropriate disposition and case management for psychiatrically impaired children
after they have been medically stabilized in collaboration with other staff
6. Evaluates and provides brief, problem-focused treatment of childhood psychological disorders
(i.e., adjustment disorder, depression, anxiety) and medical treatment adherence as identified
while the patient is hospitalized
7. Provides direct clinical, psychosocial, and/or rehabilitative mental health services to Center
clients, including but not limited to psychodiagnostic assessment, individual, collateral, group,
and family therapy, crisis intervention, in-home, community services, and/or services at locations
away from the Center. Coordination of services and case management, discharge planning, and case
consultation are also required.
8. Provide neuropsychological and psychological assessment to clients in the clinic for
diagnostic clarification and treatment planning.
9. Serves as primary therapist of mental health services for assigned cases.
10. Maintains and completes all clinical and administrative record keeping associated with delivery
11. Interacts with the community at large and with specific allied agencies, other programs, and
funding sources in a manner that facilitates and enhances the operation of the Center. In doing so,
must understand the mission of the program and the Center.
12. Participates in monthly interdisciplinary case review meetings
13. Attends weekly Intensive Services team meetings
14. Participates in grand rounds and interdisciplinary training through Miller Children’s and
Women’s Hospital and Long Beach Memorial Care Family Medicine Department
15. Provides a specific amount of direct services with regard to prevailing workload standards.
16. Provides supervision to doctoral interns in APA accredited program and/or postdoctoral fellows.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
The Guidance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants
for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming
practices), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,
pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), genetic information,
marital status, ancestry or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal,
state and local laws. The Guidance Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy
applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are firmly
committed to maintaining a work setting in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may
grow personally and professionally.
The Guidance Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on an
individual’s race, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices),
national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment and gender identity), sexual
orientation, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including
breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic
characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any
legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation.
Improper interference with the ability of The Guidance Center employees to perform their expected
job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
How to Apply:
1) a cover letter outlining a) career development aims and b) prior training experiences that are
commensurate with the psychologist roles and responsibilities
2) An updated CV
Documents may be sent to Dawn Vo-Jutabha, Ph.D. via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.