Staff Accountant (The Guidance Center)
About The Guidance Center (TGC)
TGC is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future.
Manages and executes accounts payable and receivables, grants, cash receipts and reconciles sub-ledgers to the general ledger. Calculates, posts, verifies, and keys necessary information to obtain and record financial data for use in maintaining accounting and statistical records. Responsible for compliance issues such as: DMH audit; insurance audit; payroll audit, 403(b) audit, etc. Responsible for preparing journal entries, detailed reports and account reconciliations. Work independently with minimal supervision to manage several projects simultaneously.
A Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting required and minimum of four-five years’ experience in accounting. Prefer Department of Mental Health (DMH) or other county contract experience. Possess the ability to work independently with little supervision. Ability to prioritize workload, maintain confidentiality, and work well with others. Highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data. Must be flexible, willing to learn, capable of taking directions and working with multiple levels of management especially in a culturally diverse, non-profit environment. Computer literate in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel and Outlook. May be required to have experience in or possess the ability to learn, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access or related database management software. Experience with Sage Accounting Software is an asset.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business.
- Responsible for all accounting functions including maintaining subsidiary and general ledgers, auditing and internal controls, analyzing financial position, recording fixed assets, reconciling accounting records, reviewing journal payments vouchers, and other related work.
- Assist Financial Controller in budget planning and control, cash management, treasury, and preparing cost report. Ensures complete, accurate, timely and consistent financial reporting. Ensures compliance with organizational and government policies and procedures.
- Review and prepare reports from various insurance invoices in order to determine the cost to each program.
- Responsible for annual fundraiser revenue and expense reports plus calculation or sales tax on in-kind items.
- Prepare financial statements and run the Actual vs. Budget Variance Report and perform variance analysis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to email@example.com