Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist (The Guidance Center)
Job Posting: Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist
Location: 1301 Pine Ave Long Beach, CA 90813
Classification/Status: Non-Exempt/ Full-Time
About The Guidance Center (TGC):
The Guidance Center is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future. TGC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403b with employer match, vacation, and 11 paid holidays.
To provide rehabilitative and other services consistent with State of California Department of Mental Health and L.A. County Department of Mental Health services delivery regulations to enable clients to maintain optimal level(s) of functioning. Needs to be able to work effectively with a range of clients, families and staff from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and in a multidisciplinary setting.
Works well under pressure; meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and at all times demonstrate ethical and cooperative behavior with staff, clients, visitors, and others associated with The Guidance Center.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee job performance in order for The Guidance Center to maintain efficient operations. Employee would be expected to report to work as scheduled and on time.
Master’s degree in a Mental Health field of study plus two years of post-masters experience in a relevant mental health setting, or Bachelor’s degree and four years’ experience in a relevant mental health setting, or an Associates Arts degree and six years of experience in a relevant mental health setting.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business. Travel may also include travel by charter boat to the island of Catalina in Avalon.
Computer literate in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook. Depending on position within the agency, may be required to possess or ability to learn, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access or related database management software.
Bilingual – English/Spanish, stipend included
Duties (but not limited to):
1. Provides a specific amount of direct services with regard to prevailing workload standards including, but not limited to direct rehabilitative mental health services to Center clients, including individual and group rehabilitative services, collateral services, crisis intervention, in-home, community services, and/or services at other locations away from the Center. Coordination of services and case management, discharge planning, and case consultation with referral sources, school, allied agencies, and others.
2. Maintains and completes all clinical and administrative record keeping associated with MHRS delivery of services.
3. Interacts with the community at large and with specific allied agencies, other programs, and funding sources in a manner that facilitates and enhances the operation of the Center. In doing so, must understand the mission of the program and the Center.
4. Manage, create and/or revise various types of reports from the Welligent electronic records systems and Department Mental Health’s Integrated System (IBHIS), including but not limited to productivity and enrollment reports, usage reports and others that may be beneficial in managing and assessing own activities and productivity.
5. Is available for and participates in all appropriate Center on-call rosters and crisis calls/walk-In individuals requesting information and/or services.
6. Knowledgeable of, or possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding the provision of mental health services, including employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws and the reporting of child abuse/neglect, and related regulations. Knowledgeable of and acts in accordance with Ethical and Professional Standards established by appropriate professional organizations, whether or not the individual is a member of any such organization.
7. Is knowledgeable of the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding the provision of mental health services, including confidentiality and limits thereof, the reporting of child abuse/neglect, and related regulations and acts in accordance with Ethical and Professional Standards established by appropriate professional organizations, whether or not the individual is a member of any such organization.
8. May be asked to deliver or pick-up important documents from/to other agencies in the greater Long Beach/downtown Los Angeles areas.
9. Attends and participates on committees as requested and in job-related seminars, workshops, and webinars as required to maintain proficiency in designated field of employment. Participation is also required in program-specific and Center-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings. As a member of The Guidance Center, there is also a requirement to keep abreast of HIPAA security rules, and relevant regulatory body’s administrative, physical, technical and security guidelines and laws as relevant to scope of responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
The Guidance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), genetic information, marital status, ancestry or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Guidance Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work setting in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
The Guidance Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation. Improper interference with the ability of The Guidance Center employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org