Website YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The Y is for all.
POSITION: Senior Human Resources Generalist
LOCATION: Association Office, 3605 Long Beach Blvd., Suite 210, Long Beach, CA 90807
SALARY RANGE: $69,172 – $83,694, plus 12% paid retirement benefits.
ASSOCIATION INFORMATION: The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is a $45M organization with over 1,000 employees serving the cities of Long Beach, Lakewood, Seal Beach, Los Alamitos, Cerritos, Bellflower, Paramount, Hawaiian Gardens, and Artesia, with our resident Camp Oakes in the Big Bear mountains. The association is comprised of 7 branches which operate 42 childcare sites, 6 preschools, 6 swimming pools, a 450-bed resident camp, and various youth sports, recreation, and teen programs.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for a Senior Human Resources Generalist who will coordinate the administration of the day-to-day operations of human resources functions and duties. The Senior HR Generalist may carry out responsibilities in the following functional areas of human resources: employee relations, training and development, talent acquisition, employee benefits, compensation, employment practices and procedures, performance management, and HRIS, and makes recommendations adding value to the Association HR function. The Senior Generalist will help to provide collaborative support to the Human Resources team and across the Association. This individual will report to the Chief Human Resources Officer, and will work directly with staff and leadership across the Association.
- Responsible for the execution of HR deliverables and activities related to: employee relations, talent acquisition and staffing, HRIS, performance management and improvement tracking, onboarding, staff recognition/appreciation, employment practices and procedures, benefits administration, and recordkeeping, safety, training and associated logistics, report preparation, and providing leadership with the day-to-day efficient operation of the HR department.
- Assists with the development and administration of programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the Association.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Administers and explains policies, procedures, expectations, and benefits to employees at all levels.
- Seeks to foster positive relationships that help to bridge organizational policies and procedures with the day-to-day needs of staff at all levels of the Association through helpful employee and manager interactions.
- Evaluates and compares possible courses of action in employee relations issues. Make recommendations to Supervisor and provide advice to Association managers.
- Collaborates with the HR team in conducting investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth. Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Maintains employee-related databases. Prepares and analyzes reports that are necessary to carry out the functions of the department and Association. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested.
- Leads the establishment of an in-house employee training system that addresses Association training needs including training needs assessment, new employee orientation, on-boarding, leadership development, cross-training, training impact, return on investment, and training transfer.
- Assists managers with the selection of training programs and Y-USA programs.
- Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
- Assists in the planning of staff events such as Association wide meetings and staff recognition events.
- Represents the HR department at committee meetings as needed.
- Attends all staff meetings, trainings, and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
Maintains open lines of communication with participants, staff, and Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Models and teaches YMCA values. Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Ensures high-level services that differentiate the YMCA from other providers. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition.
People Oriented: Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Builds relationships to create small communities. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Results Oriented: Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising. Effectively creates and manages budgets.
Personal Development Oriented: Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change.
- YMCA Team Leader certificate required within three years from date of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or related field required.
- Seven years of demonstrated progressive experience in human resources, with at minimum five human resources generalist competencies.
- Four years of demonstrated experience participating in varied elements of employee relations.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and California HR laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills, and ability to prepare and present trainings to groups of varied sizes and roles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365, Adobe Pro, multiple HRIS, and other systems and software.
- PHR and/or SHRM-CP certification preferred.
- Three to five years leadership experience preferred.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Additional Requirements: Criminal Clearance: Including Fingerprints and background clearance, TB Test.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Claudia Mendoza, Chief Human Resources Officer
YMCA of Greater Long Beach
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com