Website The Guidance Center
Nonprofit Children Mental health facility
Title: Development Associate
Department: Administrative Offices
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
The Development Associate position has an impact on the success of The Guidance Center’s development program and supports all sites located throughout Los Angeles County. This position supports development activities including donor cultivation and stewardship activities, gift processing, donor acknowledgement, database management and maintaining accurate records and information on donors and prospects. This position provides administrative support to the Chief Development Officer as needed. The Development Associate must understand and maintain confidentiality and exercise a common sense understanding in carrying out directions and/or instructions, both written and oral, and in the handling of routine, problems/situations. This position works independently with minimal supervision in order to manage several projects simultaneously.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee’s job performance in order for The Guidance Center to maintain efficient operations. When employees are absent, schedules and commitments fall behind, and other employees may need to assume added workloads. Employees are expected to report to work and on time.
At least two years prior administrative experience, preferably fundraising/nonprofit related. Ability to prioritize workload, maintain confidentiality, and work well with others. Good customer relations and interpersonal skills. Excellent usage of spoken/written English grammar, including excellent proofreading skills. Must be flexible, willing to learn, capable of taking directions and working with multiple levels of management.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business. Travel may also include travel by charter boat to the Island of Catalina in Avalon.
Intermediate-advanced skill in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint Publisher, Access or related database management software.
1. Assist in the planning and organizing of agency events, including administrative support for such events.
2. Oversee gift contribution program by sending gift acknowledgements in a timely manner and ensuring compliance with IRS guidelines. Process and manage data entry of gifts within a timely manner.
3. Assist with donor cultivation and stewardship activities.
4. Attend various meetings and community events to represent and network on behalf of The Guidance Center.
5. Maintain and keep current agency’s donor database, departmental filing system and perform database maintenance and clean-up projects to improve data integrity and database performance.
6. Manage mailing lists for various agency projects (newsletter, events, fundraising campaigns)
7. Assist with year-end fundraising efforts by preparing donor prospect reports and lists, and developing tax receipts.
8. Assist with preparation of grant proposals and reports, including but not limited to copying and mailing proposals.
9. Handle all administrative functions for the department, including telephones, processing and responding to department mail and inter-office correspondence; managing print collateral inventory, photo archives; and preparing invoices for payment. Compose and/or type correspondence, reports, and other documents. Perform mail merges and assist with solicitation and other department mailings.
10. Provide support for the Fund Development and Sunset Sip Event Committees of the Board of Directors as well as other meetings as requested. Coordinate and attend meetings, and transcribe and distribute minutes.
11. Maintain agency promotional items and inventory. Manage requests for promotional items for outreach events.
12. Schedule appointments for Chief Development Officer as needed.
13. Provides backup support for designated administrative staff. Manage/create various types of reports as directed.
14. Track department expenses and assist with budget reconciliation.
15. Work well under pressure; meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines. Demonstrate ethical and cooperative behavior with staff, clients, visitors and others associated with The Guidance Center
16. May be asked to deliver or pick-up important documents from/to other agencies in the greater Long Beach/downtown Los Angeles areas.
17. Knowledgeable in, or possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws.
18. Attends and participates on committees as requested and in job-related seminars workshops, and webinars as required to maintain proficiency in designated field of employment. Participation is also required in program-specific and Center-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings. As a member of The Guidance Center, there is also a requirement to keep abreast of HIPAA security rules, and relevant regulatory body’s administrative, physical, technical and security guidelines and laws as relevant to scope of responsibilities.
While this position commonly entails 60-75% sitting and the remaining time standing or walking, the following physical demands could be associated with this position: Lifting or carrying up to 25 pounds. Using cart/dolly for pushing or pulling up to 30 pounds (i.e. boxes of brochures, supplies, and cases copy paper) Stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing or reaching.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Spends 60-70% of the time sitting
- 20% standing
- 10-20% walking
- Occasionally lifts, carries, push, or pulls up to 30 lbs.
- Occasionally stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls, and crouches, climbing or reaching
- Constant use of eye, hand, and finger coordination
Frequent use of computer (keyboarding) and office telephone equipment is a requirement of this position.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 35% of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 50% and 65% of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 65% of the time.
Local driving travel within 50 miles is required to visit other locations, attend meetings and events. Boat travel will occur occasionally to the island of Catalina in Avalon. Some out of state travel may be required.
The primary work environment is consistent with a regular office environment. The Development Associate will have moderate exposure to outdoor elements due to required travel. This position will also be required to regularly interact with a wide variety of people in various settings.
This position may require attendance at special events that could occur in the evening or weekend hours.
To apply for this job please visit www.tgclb.org.