MUSICAL THEATRE WEST
Director of Finance
Part-Time (leading to Possible Full-Time Exempt)
Part-Time, 20-30 hours/week
Musical Theatre West is an arts leader in one of the most culturally rich and diverse areas in the United States. Our community has launched us into a leading professional, award-winning regional theatre with national recognition. For over 70 years we have been a champion of introducing broader audiences to Broadway-caliber musical theatre in Southern California. Our mission is to enrich the community with Broadway-quality productions, preserve musical theatre as a uniquely American art form and expose people of all backgrounds to the excitement of musical theatre.
The Director of Finance plans coordinates and is responsible for the financial operations of Musical Theatre West (MTW). These functions include, but are not limited to accounting, budgeting, banking, payroll, and accurate and timely report preparation.
As a senior member of the management team, this position works closely with the Executive Director and provides advice and financial expertise to the various departments and committees
Primary Areas of Responsibility Include:
• Manages the financial operations of MTW.
• Oversees all accounting activities and insures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Coordinates preparation of the annual budget.
• Monitors the budget activities, including changes over time,
• Keeps the leadership team abreast of the ongoing financial status.
• Recommends necessary actions as needed.
• Oversees the payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions.
• Works with the external audit firm and leads in the preparation of the documentation required to complete the annual audit.
• Maintains a continuing relationship with the external auditors.
• Provides informative and timely financial reports, including notes which highlight and clearly communicate trends and variances.
• Oversees banking relationships including bank account reconciliations and review of transactions to the general ledger.
• Responsible for the accounting of fixed assets, including proper classifications and depreciation.
• Prepares required government and tax-related documents.
• Reviews and recommends updates to financial policies, procedures, and internal controls when necessary.
• Establishes and maintains strong relationships with the Executive Director, the finance committee chair, and officers of the organization.
• Reviews daily sales reports, ensuring that all deposits balance
• Reviews end-of-show ticket sales reports for royalty payments generated by Box Office Manager.
Benchmarks for Success:
• Musical Theatre West gets streamlined finances and shows an improvement in accurate financial report generation
• Improved financial position and clear account holdings in all areas
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
• Undergraduate degree in accounting required and five years of responsible accounting experience. CPA degree a plus.
• Experience working with nonprofit organizations is a plus.
• Proficient in QuickBooks and other PC-based programs
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated analytical and problems solving skills necessary to solve accounting and finance problems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong presentation skills
• Strong project management and time management skills including the ability to work on several projects at the same time with similar deadlines
• A willingness to embrace and further MTW’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
• The ability to maintain diplomacy, professionalism, discretion and confidentiality when handling sensitive information
Special Environmental Factors
Fast-paced, open office environment, frequent interruptions, musical background noise.
Salaried: $55 – $75.00/hour depending on experience
Part-Time schedule 20-30 hour work week (including some evenings and weekends)
Please send a cover letter and resumes to:
Douglas Senecal, General Manager
MUSICAL THEATRE WEST
4350 E. 7th Street
Long Beach, CA 90804
Musical Theatre West pursues potential staff candidates who represent various race, ethnicity, socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identity, age, physical ability, LGBTQIA+, and diverse viewpoints, who also have an interest, background, and skillset in musical theatre. We will recognize the importance of equity for job candidates in terms of training and experience.
To apply for this job email your details to Jobs@Musical.org