About Long Beach Forward:
Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change in Long Beach. We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward provides leadership, strategy, communications, and convening support to multiple campaigns in order to advance the vision that Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine one’s future—it’s a community where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy. Long Beach Forward was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Long Beach Forward now partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or participates in multiple collaborative groups and campaigns, including the role of Local Support Network for the Best Start Central Long Beach initiative.
Long Beach Forward is a hybrid work environment with remote and in-person working options. Occasional work and meetings will be required in-person. Per the health and safety protocols, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by 60 days of employment with the organization.
About the role:
The Accounting Coordinator will play a key role in Long Beach Forward’s growing Administration and Operations team and will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting and bookkeeping needed to keep the organization running. Long Beach Forward currently utilizes Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, and Abacus to manage organizational accounting. The Accounting Coordinator will require flexibility and open-mindedness in implementation of protocol and procedures for the growing organization while maintaining our organizational culture.
Core responsibilities fall under the following categories and may include other responsibilities as assigned by the Administration and Operations Director:
- Budgeting and Accounting
- People and Culture
- Organizational Culture
Budgeting and Accounting
- Handle and maintain organizational bookkeeping, including cash on hand, and physical monetary donations in coordination with the Administration and Operations Director.
- Input, track, monitor, and reconcile expenses and income receipts to ensure proper expense allocation of all transactions in accordance with standard operating procedures and policies.
- Support the Administration and Operations Team with processing bills and preparing checks for signatures on a weekly basis as needed.
- Co-lead tracking and management of stipends, regrants, prepaid gift cards, subcontracts, and mini-grants made to external partners and organizations in accordance with standard operating procedures and policies in coordination with the Administration Team.
- Maintain staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding.
- Support the Administration and Operations Director with producing annual budget and financial forecasts for grant related activities and expenses.
- Prepare monthly financial reports & reconcile balance sheet/bank accounts.
- Maintain fixed assets, depreciation schedules, and research and correct discrepancies.
- Gather and prepare schedule and data in coordination with external auditors for annual audit and 990 tax return, and review them for accuracy.
People and Culture
- Provide support in reviewing biweekly payroll and paid time off benefits accrued for each employee.
- Report and reconcile 403(b) contributions for each biweekly payroll.
- Record and reconcile insurance benefit expenditures, and make journal entries within the accounting system.
- Work with 403(b) third party administrators to prepare the form 5500 to be filed annually.
- Contribute to organizational development and culture building by participating in organizational planning sessions and all-staff meetings, serving on internal committees, attending identified learning sessions and trainings, and regularly conducting one-on-ones with colleagues.
- Participate in Long Beach Forward’s culture of philanthropy and community-centric fundraising work.
- Support the Administration and Operations team on any other finance and accounting tasks and projects as needed.
- Bookkeeping or accounting experience at a nonprofit organization.
- Possess strong knowledge of principles for nonprofit accounting.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently, manage own work and time, and take responsibility for performance.
- Technological proficiency with Quickbook Online, Bill.com, Abacus, GSuite/Google Workspace, and Excel.
- Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple tasks, problem-solve quickly, and meet multiple demands and deadlines.
- Exercising discretion and maintaining confidential and/or sensitive information as dictated by the assignment.
- Strong listening and communication skills, including across differences, disagreements and handling complaints and disputes with neutrality, composure and tact.
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Project management skills and are able to track the status of multiple tasks and projects at once.
Bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Khmer is a plus, but not required.
- Commitment to the mission and values of Long Beach Forward.
- CPA license is a plus, but not required.
- Reliable access to transportation (car not required).
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.