Website Casa Youth Shelter
The Executive Director has responsibility for the day-to-day operations and employees of Casa Youth Shelter (CYS) under the written policies of the Board of Directors and by-laws of the organization. The Executive Director shall recommend policies and actions to the Board of Directors and shall carry out those policies and actions approved by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, or as defined by the employment contract or written
policies of the Board of Directors. The Executive Director shall attend all meetings of the Board
of Directors and the Executive Committee, except when his/her employment matters are being considered. Administratively, the Executive Director reports to the Board President.
The Executive Director directly recruits, hires, and supervises the personnel on the Management Team. The Executive Director maintains a high-profile presence in the community; with local, state, and national professional organizations; and with funding entities.
In addition, the Executive Director serves as a figurative “Head of the Household” in the shelter.
The Executive Director works collaboratively with the Board and Staff in a manner consistent with CYS’s values, policies, procedures, and practices.
Areas of Responsibility
- Responsible for all functions associated with administration of the shelter.
- Responsible for compliance with regulatory requirements and maintains the shelter in a ready state for inspections, scheduled or unscheduled.
- Works with the Board Secretary to maintain corporate records in a safe and accessible fashion and plans for periodic updates and revisions as required or as is deemed appropriate.
- Working with the Executive Committee, the Executive Director is part of the governance
framework of CYS.
- Supports the Board of Directors in its activities, operations and decision making.
- Demonstrates leadership as a professional advisor and technical resource to the Board
and its committees in the areas of governance protocols, executive techniques for
managing the organization, and compliance with policies and requirements of CYS
Vision and Leadership / Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to CYS and personifies CYS’s values through
- Works with the Strategic Planning Committee in the development and implementation
of a strategic plan.
- Works with Staff to implement actions to achieve the goals of CYS’s strategic plan.
- Works with Strategic Planning Committee and Executive Committee to develop and
implement annual operating goals.
- Works with the Treasurer in developing and implementing a budget aligned with yearly strategic operating goals.
- Administers overall operations, including reviewing and evaluating the results of program activities; ensuring that the continuing contractual obligations and regulatory rules and requirements are being fulfilled; allocating resources for greater operational and program effectiveness and efficiency; and developing organizational and administrative policies as well as program objectives for board consideration.
- Directs CYS’s efforts in a manner that is consistent with the vision, mission, strategic plan, and programming philosophy by employing the most promising practices in the field of human services.
- In partnership with the Program & Clinical Director, designs and implements shelter
operational procedures in compliance with Board policies, California and Federal
regulatory rules and regulations, grant requirements, and best practices.
- Implements a risk management program to adequately protect and maintain CYS’s
assets consistent with the requirements of Policy 4.16 Risk Management.
- Implements and maintains services as approved by the Board.
- Develops human resource policies for Board approval and implements those policies.
- Develops and updates job descriptions for non-clinical positions and presents changes
to the Board for their understanding and comment.
- Reviews and approves job descriptions developed by the Program & Clinical Director for clinical positions and presents changes to the Board for their understanding and
- Consistent with CYS policies, executes a strategy to recruit, manage, and retain a
qualified and diverse cadre of staff and volunteers.
- Manages staff and volunteers in a manner consistent with CYS’s policies, practices, and
- Promotes professional development and productivity through effective leadership,
coaching, counseling, recognition, and evaluation.
- Provides training for staff and volunteers consistent with CYS’s written procedures and
- Directs efforts to enhance CYS’s internal communication among staff, board, and volunteers.
- Ensures the Operations and Events Director manages HR administrative activities in a timely, thorough, and accurate manner aligned with all U.S. and California employment laws.
Fund Development/Donor Relations
- In partnership with the Director of Development, presents to the Fund Development
Committee a clear, sound, and diversified strategy for raising the funds necessary to
support CYS’s essential work and establish its long-term fiscal stability.
- Ensure fundraising plans and activities are consistent with CYS’s strategic plan
- Provides leadership, encouragement, and organizational skills in assisting the Director of
Development in the planning and implementation of fundraising activities in concert with efforts of support groups and volunteers.
- Maintains relationships with key donors and develops relationships with key potential
Marketing and Communications
- Directs efforts to enhance CYS’s presence and visibility in its service area and develops
and maintains networks with community organizations, businesses, and civic leaders to
promote a professional image and keep CYS in the forefront.
- Maintains a high-profile presence within the CYS service area, within local, state, and
national professional organizations, with local and state political and legislative leaders,
with other community and service agencies, and with funding entities.
- Provides leadership, encouragement, and organizational skills in assisting the Director of
Marketing and Communications in developing and implementing an appropriate,
consistent, and cohesive brand strategy; developing and implementing a
communication and marketing strategy; and developing public relations and media
contacts to promote CYS and raise visibility and community awareness.
- Develops relationships with like-minded human service organizations to promote
collaboration and share best practices, when possible.
- Provides leadership, encouragement, and organizational skills in assisting the
Community Outreach Director in developing and implementing a community outreach
strategy that promotes community awareness and maximizes shelter utilization.
- Manages the organization’s financial resources within approved budget.
- Works with the Treasurer to manage the budgeting, processing, reporting, and recordkeeping activities in a manner consistent with CYS’s policies, procedures, practices, and
internal and external requirements.
- Communicates regularly with the board regarding organizational work and issues.
- Seeks appropriate counsel and direction from the President.
- Works with the Board Development Committee and President in efforts to enhance
board members’ personal growth and development around CYS’s mission and work and support a board that effectively furthers the CYS mission and represents the
- Coordinates support for all activities associated with the Board of Directors, including
staffing for all Board and Committee meetings, creating meeting schedules, determining
locations, and assisting the President or Committee Chairs in developing agendas and
- Provides comprehensive and timely reports of all activities, planned and unplanned,
associated with shelter operations to the Executive Committee and Board on a
scheduled and extemporaneous basis.
Hiring Skills and Qualifications
When hiring an Executive Director, the following skills will be considered (and required in
complying with State and Federal rules and regulations) by the hiring team/individual:
- Passion for Casa Youth Shelter’s mission of helping youth in crisis and their families.
- 10 years of professional management experience, including a minimum 5 years of
increasingly responsible experience in a nonprofit environment; demonstrated success
in a leadership / management role.
- Proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders; tangible experience
building and cultivating effective long-term individual, corporate, foundation, and
- Creative self-starter with established ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; comfortable speaking in large group
- High energy and positive demeanor; a team player who will motivate and collaborate
with staff, Board members, donors, volunteers, and other key stakeholders.
- Strong planning, project, and time management skills. Established ability to meet
deadlines and keep accurate records.
- Ability to think strategically, to actively seek opportunities and propose solutions to
challenges that may arise.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation, and evaluation of plans, procedures, and policies.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, financial reports, legal documents, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations; write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; efficiently respond to questions from staff and members of the community; communicate effectively in both written and oral form; and effectively present information to supporters, top management, staff, public groups, and/or Board of Directors.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of grant administration, fundraising, contract administration and negotiation, general office administration, community organization, fiscal and organizational management, and principles and practices of marketing and public relations.
- Ability to plan, direct, and coordinate activities and negotiate and administer contracts with commercial vendors, government agencies, community groups, and other organizations as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Available to work occasional evenings, weekends, and early mornings as necessary to carry out shelter and operational responsibilities.
- In all cases the following is required to comply with various State and Federal rules and regulations:
- Must pass a full background check from the FBI and California Community Care Licensing.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and a vehicle available for daily use.
- Must provide educational transcripts, evidence of healthcare clearance, recent negative TB test, current positive DMV driving record, and proof of insurance coverage.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com