Human Resources Manager (WomenShelter of Long Beach)
WomenShelter of Long Beach
Human Resources Manager
Since 1977, WomenShelter of Long Beach has helped thousands of families overcome the trauma caused by domestic abuse. WSLB assists victims and their children by providing safe shelter and supportive services including 30-45 days of emergency shelter, 24-hour crisis hotline, counseling, social services support, legal and health advocacy, and much more. The mission of WSLB is to eliminate domestic violence through compassionate intervention, education and personal empowerment.
Job Title: Human Resource Manager Reports to: Executive Director
Non-exempt, Part-time – 24 hours per week Salary: Commensurate with experience
This position carries out the following responsibilities on a professional level: Implementing and keeping current all HR policies and procedures, processing semi-monthly payroll, maintaining personnel files and documentation, new hire procedures, recruitment, employee safety, leave administration, benefits administration, employee relations, performance reviews, employment law compliance, contract compliance, etc. Other related duties as required.
- Ensure sound human resource policies and procedures.
- Perform employee salary and benefits administration, FMLA leave administration, workers compensation administration, and adherence to confidentiality provisions for employee files.
- Maintain compliance with all relevant federal, state, and local employment and benefit laws and in the format required by Government and other Funding sources.
- Maintain and update Employee Handbook to ensure compliance with current laws.
- Verify time sheet data submitted by employees and process semi-monthly payroll with payroll service ensuring accuracy. Track all vacation, sick, and leave time. Calendar all requests.
- Ensure that employee time sheets accurately reflect the percentage charged to each grant in accordance with the labor distributions.
- Develop and track employee salary ranges and categories; conduct periodic salary surveys to ensure that agency salaries meet market standards.
- Assist Executive Director and Accountant in preparing salary and benefits budgets for annual agency budget, proposals, budget modifications, and financial reports for various grants.
- Work with Program Directors in developing and/or updating job descriptions for each position within the agency.
- Assist the Executive Director and Program Directors to recruit, screen, hire new employees, and prepare offer letters.
- Develop and conduct background check procedures for potential new employees as allowed by law.
- Develop and implement a New Employee Orientation and Employee Relations programs.
- Develop and train manager level staff on documentation, disciplinary, and termination procedures.
- Monitor performance evaluation dates and assist Executive Director and Program Directors in ensuring completion.
- Understand and explain to staff the employee benefits programs (medical, vision, dental, life, 401k etc.) and conduct periodic enrollments as necessary.
- Create and conduct in-services to staff regarding employment and human resources issues as needed.
- Serve as agency Safety Officer (ensure IPP is in place); convene quarterly Workplace Safety meetings; present in-services for staff on safety issues; ensuring appropriate emergency response procedures and teams are in place.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with employee management and human resource duties.
- Must be a self-started and very organized with excellent time management, written and oral communication skills.
- Must have the ability to handle sensitive, confidential and non-routine information and situations.
- Must have advance proficiency with Microsoft Office products especially Excel.
- 10-key by touch.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to
Mary Ellen Mitchell at email@example.com