Director of Development (Long Beach Rescue Mission)
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Revised: 03/21/17
General description of work:
The Director of Development (DD) is responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, and expansion of the Long Beach Rescue Mission’s fundraising program, which is comprised of direct mail, monthly giving program, major donors, planned giving, foundation and corporate funding, and special events. The DD provides oversight of and supervise data entry staff, volunteers, and consultants. The DD works closely with the Executive Director to integrate all elements of the Mission’s fundraising functions with our Strategic Plan; successfully meet annual revenue goals; and integrate the vision, core values and culture of the Long Beach Rescue Mission.
- Develops strategies and plans in coordination with the Executive Director to fund the Mission’s short and long-term programs and campaigns.
- Manages annual gifts cycle including the engagement and cultivation of the Mission’s new and existing major donors and prospects, including retention and migration strategies.
- Works collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to identify funding priorities.
- Submits annual budget that integrates all elements of the Mission’s fundraising programs and makes accurate assumptions about short and long-term income and expenses.
- Works directly with the Director of Finance to closely monitor success of fundraising efforts to meet current approved budget, fundraising events meet revenue targets and strategic goals.
- Plans, develops, and executes strategies for obtaining private donations; identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gift prospects (individuals, corporations and foundations).
- Identifies and utilizes resources effectively, including volunteers, staff, publications and the media to identify major donor prospects.
- Implements systematic efforts to identify, solicit, steward, maintain and upgrade annual giving donors.
- Provides for on-going promotion of planned giving opportunities; overseeing, managing and/or planning special events.
- Collaborates with the Foundation in completing gift arrangements which require tax or estate planning.
- Manages the grants program, including work related to grant writing and reports, proposal development and submission, relationship building, and the timely submission of grant proposals to private and public foundations, government grant makers, and corporations.
- Adheres to appropriate standards (ECFA and CLA) for an effective donor recognition program to include written thank you letters, receipts, and personal phone calls.
- Keeps current on fundraising best practices and trends.
- Represents the Mission and participates in special events as necessary.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends as needed.
- Oversees communication including newsletter, literature, website, media advertising
- Oversees direct mail campaigns and coordinates seasonal donor acquisition
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Progressively responsible fundraising experience including major gift ($25,000 and above)
- Experience with strategic, policy, and budget planning for nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of planned giving and estates
- Demonstrated success and evidence of ability to plan and execute a fund drive
- Ability to supervise professional support staff
- Strong written and verbal communications skills required, including the ability to write and speak persuasively about the Mission
- Must be detailed, deadline oriented, and comfortable managing multiple projects within tight schedules.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary for special events
- Proficient with MS Office (including Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Experience with donor database preferred (DPO – Donor Perfect Online a plus).
Personal Attributes and Values:
- Have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and a deep desire to serve Him
- Be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ; Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Exhibits spiritual maturity as defined by evangelical biblical standards
- Has a heart of compassion and caring toward the homeless and hurting, and is passionate about ministering life transformation in a multi-ethnic urban ministry setting
- Demonstrates a courteous and Christ-like manner with internal and external partners
In any position with the Long Beach Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. This is the case with this position. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of the Long Beach Rescue Mission services.
Education and/or Certification: Bachelor’s Degree and related transferable education and increasing experience and responsibility required. Master’s Degree in communication, business or public relations preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities and Relationships: Oversees and evaluates data entry staff, volunteers, and consultants. Works with Senior Leadership staff daily and consultants as needed. Reports to and is evaluated by the Executive Director.
Requirement: Long Beach Rescue Mission is a 501(c)(3) non profit, evangelical Christian Ministry; as such employees must share the Mission’s Statement of Faith and Lifestyle, and adhere to the Mission’s employee policy manual and guidelines
To Apply: Please send your resume to Cindy Pena: firstname.lastname@example.org