Development Assistant (California Conference for Equality and Justice)
The California Conference for Equality and Justice (CCEJ) is a human relations organization
focused on a broad range of “isms” – the manifestations of discrimination and oppression
based on religion, race, age, ability, gender identity, and sexual orientation – ranging from
bias-related crimes and violence to racial profiling to systemic oppression. We are dedicated
to eliminating bias, bigotry and racism through education, conflict resolution and advocacy.
We are recruiting a part-time Development Assistant to join our Development Team and
support CCEJ’s comprehensive fund development efforts. The position will be supervised by
the Director of Development and work closely with CCEJ’s Director of Special Events, Finance
and Operations Manager, and Executive Director. The ideal candidate is creative, energetic,
and is enthusiastic about CCEJ’s mission and interacting with our supporters.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Work schedule: 24 hours (3 days)/week. Starting
salary: $16/hour. Start date: Mid-August.
Development Team Support:
• Provide wide-ranging, multifaceted administrative support to the Development Team,
including assistance with meeting preparation, event logistics, and mailings;
• Work with the Development team to help strategize donor engagement, identification,
and cultivation efforts;
• Research donor and grant prospects;
• Keep development files up to date and organized;
• Assist with tracking Development-related expenses for annual budgeting and periodic
Data Maintenance and Donation Processing
• Process cash, credit card, stock, and other donations and ensure they are accurately
acknowledged in timely manner;
• Maintain CCEJ’s supporter database (E-Tapestry) with accuracy and integrity, including
campaign tracking, updating donor profiles as needed, entering gifts, pledges and
• Process and fulfill gifts-in-honor/memory-of, and other special acknowledgements;
• Create contribution reports and provide periodic updates of fundraising progress for
• Maintain agency e-mail lists for mass communications;
• Assist with fundraising appeals and agency communications including preparing
• Assist with the production of communications, including the website and social media,
printing and mailing of e-newsletters, the annual report, direct mail appeals, brochures,
and specialty publications.
• Assist with planning and execution of special events;
• At the direction of the Director of Special Events, support event logistics, vendor
communications, equipment rental, and other related tasks;
• Draft and prepare materials and mailings related to events.
General Office Support
• Answer phones and check mail as requested;
• Contribute to a comfortable and welcoming environment for staff, volunteers and
• With colleagues, maintain good organization and cleanliness of office space,
conference room, kitchen and supply areas.
• Strong commitment to CCEJ’s mission and work
• At least two years of related work experience and/or equivalent education
• Knowledge of computer software and donor database/CRM programs (Microsoft
Excel/Word, WordPress, eTapestry and Constant Contact preferred)
• Highly organized, proactive and detail-oriented, with the ability to effectively and
efficiently manage deadlines and multiple tasks
• Excellent interpersonal and telephone skills and ability to create effective messaging to
a variety of constituencies
• Exercises good judgment in handling confidential and sensitive information
• Strong content creation skills, including writing and editing for print and electronic
media (knowledge of design software a plus)
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Open-mindedness and ability to work with diverse groups
• Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
Please submit a cover letter and resume with subject line “Development Assistant” to
Jessy Needham at email@example.com.