Community Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator (South Asian Network)
Community Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator
Position Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt | Salary: DOE
The South Asian Network (SAN) is a 26-year old grassroots, community-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the health, well-being, and civil rights South Asians living in Southern California. It is the only South Asian organization of its kind, providing outreach, direct services, and advocacy in three key areas: health and well-being, civic engagement, and violence prevention and intervention. SAN embraces the diversity of the South Asian American community as strength and builds unity among South Asian immigrants in Southern California that does not exist in South Asia itself. It also strives to build alliances among the South Asian community, other immigrant communities, and communities of color in order to advance a shared progressive agenda for Southern California.
The SAN team is composed of highly dedicated, resourceful, accomplished and diverse individuals who are passionate about issues such social justice, empowerment, and diversity and inclusivity. While our work atmosphere is casual, we employ the utmost levels of professionalism, excellence and integrity in our work.
About the Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator Role:
Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt | Salary/Wages: DOE Reports To: Executive Director and Deputy Director.
Responsibilities The Community Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to build strategic relationships, conduct a variety of outreach activities, and recruit and retain volunteers for all SAN programs. The Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with community advocates for the Civil Rights Unit (CRU), Anti-Violence Unit (Awaz), and the Community Health unit (CHAI).
- Create and implement annual outreach plan
- Work with programming staff to develop marketing plans to recruit new volunteers and clients in line with organizational objectives
- Develop training materials and curriculum for prospective volunteers o Recruit, place, retain and support SAN volunteers o Oversee and coordinate monthly SAN newsletter
- Manage volunteer database
- Follow up with potential volunteers in a timely manner o Attend relevant community meetings and events
- Schedule and personally conduct at least 8 presentations a month o Conduct and compile annual volunteer satisfaction survey
- Maintain relationships with collaborative partners and community leaders, and cultivate new ones.
- Coordinate special events
- Create, coordinate and implement volunteer recognition activities. These activities include:
- Annual volunteer appreciation events
- Securing volunteer awards for special achievements o Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of two years of experience in successful community outreach/recruitment and volunteer recruitment;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Ability to connect with others and forge strong relationships;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in diverse environments;
- Committed to SAN’s mission of empowering South Asians in Southern California;
- Highly organized, analytical, IT-competent – proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to support, network, and motivate, staff, volunteers, and clients;
- Ability to maintain confidential information; and
- Ability organize and maintain detailed records, complete necessary paperwork, and meet deadlines; and
- Must have valid California driver’s license, insurance, and automobile that may be used during working hours.
- Previous experience working with the South Asian community strongly preferred
- Bilingual skills highly preferred (English + South Asian language)
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: On a rolling basis
The South Asian Network an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.