Communications/Public Relations Manager (Long Beach Public Library Foundation)
JOB TITLE: Communications/Public Relations Manager
STATUS: Salary, Full Time
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPPORTS: All Staff
About The Long Beach Public Library Foundation
Founded in 1996, the Long Beach Public Library Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization that provides support to the Long Beach Public Library through the procurement of private funds.
The Library Foundation’s mission is to provide support to enhance the Long Beach Public Library and encourage literacy and education for all members of the community.
The Long Beach Public Library Foundation is looking for a Communications Associate to support all Foundation communications, PR and marketing activities. The Communications Associate will assist the Executive Director in setting all communications/PR strategies and lead on the implementation of these strategies to raise the profile of the Foundation among the public, city leaders, press and current and potential donors.
- Raise the profile of the Foundation in Long Beach
- Evaluate and improve Foundation communications and marketing materials
- Working with the Executive Director, evaluate and implement the communications strategy for the Foundation
- Support Foundation fundraising efforts
- Maintain Foundation website and social media
- Write, design and produce all communication materials for the Foundation including new media, newsletters, eblasts, annual reports, press releases, ads, factsheets, brochures and event materials to help the Foundation achieve its fund development goals.
- Evaluate all Foundation digital and print marketing materials and collateral and make improvements as needed.
- Support the Executive Director in the development, writing and design of outreach pieces (fact sheets, PSAs, speeches, press releases, infographics, brochures) that help educate the city government and the public about the importance, relevancy and benefits of the Library and the Foundation.
- Support the Director of Development with donor and fundraising events, campaigns, grant applications and other development related communications.
- Create and produce all communications materials for our annual Grape Expectations gala and other events such as invitations, programs, displays, signage, presentations, speeches, award content, etc.
- Produce a quarterly newsletter, working with the Director of Development to plan the content. Research the topics, write the articles, take or select the photos, design the layout using approved templates, obtain approvals, work with printer and mail house to distribute.
- Partner with the Executive Director and Director of Development to produce an annual report. Research the topics, write the articles, take or select the photos, design the layout using approved templates, obtain approvals, work with printer and mail house to distribute.
- Plan content, storyboard, write script and oversee production of PSAs, YouTube videos and other multimedia items as needed.
- Create, implement and maintain a consistent new media strategy for the Foundation that considers incorporating consistent updates on tools such as blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Create a media plan for the Foundation that includes creating and constantly updating an official media distribution list, answering news ad placement requests, developing media opportunities, drafting and distributing press releases and media alerts for all relevant events, projects and announcements and planning press conferences as needed.
- Maintain website content, drafting articles and blog posts on a consistent basis, updating event page, donor recognition, and Board documents as needed.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- 3-5 years of communications experience, ideally for a nonprofit entity and with events and donor relations
- Bachelors (B.S. or B.A.) degree or equivalent from a nationally accredited college or university in communications, media or related field
- Experience managing social media in a professional setting
- Press experience ideal but not required
- The ability to work independently and as a team
- Ability to work with high profile donors and board directors
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Experience with design software a must. InDesign a plus
- Relationship builder who is energetic, mature, flexible and demonstrates finesse to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board directors, volunteers, donors, program participants, library staff, city professionals and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Enthusiastic about advocating for libraries, literacy and education
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and short writing sample to Kate Azar, Executive Director, at email@example.com.