Best Start Program Assistant (Long Beach Forward)
Reports to: Strategic Initiatives Manager, Long Beach Forward
Employee of: Community Partners (fiscal sponsor)
Hours and compensation: Full-time, hourly employee at $18-20/hour plus benefits.
Benefits include paid vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision coverage; and life
insurance and retirement options.
Organizational Background & Description
Long Beach Forward (previously known as the support organization for Building Healthy Communities:
Long Beach) was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California
Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Beginning in May 2018, Long
Beach Forward will also provide coordination support to Best Start Central Long Beach, an initiative of
First 5 LA.
Long Beach Forward currently partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or
participates in approximately 15 collaborative groups and campaigns in order to advance the vision that
Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine one’s future—it’s a community
where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy.
Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by
providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change
in Long Beach. We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence
the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of
color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward is hiring a Program Assistant as part of our work with Best Start Central Long
Beach. Best Start brings together parents and caregivers, residents, organizations, businesses,
government institutions, and other stakeholders to collectively build a vision and develop strategies to
create the best possible community for young children and their families. Best Start stakeholders
collaborate to improve the community’s policies, resources, and services to better support residents,
and create places where families can thrive. Best Start also provides the skills-building and leadership
training to help the group achieve its goals and ensure that children enter kindergarten ready to
succeed in school and in life. This is done through a group called the Community Partnership.
The Program Assistant coordinates the day-to-day logistics and administration of Best Start Central
Long Beach activities and aids outreach, communication, and evaluation efforts to ensure high-quality
and high-impact work. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who is well organized and
enjoys providing administrative and logistical support to the social-change efforts of diverse community
stakeholders wishing to improve the lives of children and their families.
● Assist in all aspects of communication, logistics, and administrative support (including
monitoring work, reporting, and evaluation) for Best Start Central Long Beach.
● Ensure that appropriate logistical details are communicated to Long Beach Forward staff and
Best Start stakeholders with adequate advance notice.
● Prepare onsite and offsite venues for meetings and events, including ensuring that all
necessary materials are available and set up. Take the lead in cleaning up and returning
materials after meetings and events.
● Ensure that activities are welcoming and culturally and linguistically relevant for participants.
● Document Best Start activities through note taking and occasional photography.
● Maintain positive relationships and communication with a diverse set of stakeholders.
● Participate in other Long Beach Forward meetings and community events as required.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Demonstrated success in event planning and coordination or management of groups.
● Accurate and effective written and verbal communication.
● Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work collaboratively, manage own work and
time, and be accountable for performance.
● Outstanding customer service, as demonstrated by courteousness, responsiveness, and timely
● Technological proficiency, especially with email, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, and
● Familiarity with Long Beach’s political landscape and issues relevant to low-income
communities of color in Long Beach.
● Access to reliable transportation (car not required).
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Ariel Halstead, Office Administrator, Long Beach
Forward. You may email documents to email@example.com or deliver them to our office at 920 Atlantic
Ave., Suite 102, Long Beach, CA 90813. Applications received by the end of the day (11:59PM) on
Sunday, May 6th will be prioritized.
For more information, please visit: www.bhclongbeach.org. We are going through a change of names
and are releasing our new website this summer. In the meantime, you can check out @MoveLBForward
on all the social-media channels for more information. Community Partners® is an equal opportunity
employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for
employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of
the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds
and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve