Best Start Community Organizer (Long Beach Forward)
(Best Start Partnership Organizer)
Reports to: Strategic Initiatives Manager, Long Beach Forward
Employee of: Community Partners (fiscal sponsor)
Hours and compensation: Full-time, salaried exempt at $45,760-48,000 per year plus
benefits. Benefits include paid vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision coverage;
and life insurance and retirement options.
Organizational Background & Description
Long Beach Forward (previously known as the support organization for Building Healthy Communities:
Long Beach) was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California
Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Beginning in May 2018, Long
Beach Forward will also provide coordination support to Best Start Central Long Beach, an initiative of
First 5 LA.
Long Beach Forward currently partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or
participates in approximately 15 collaborative groups and campaigns in order to advance the vision that
Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine one’s future—it’s a community
where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy.
Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by
providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change
in Long Beach. We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence
the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of
color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward is hiring a community organizer as part of our work with Best Start Central Long
Beach. Best Start brings together parents and caregivers, residents, organizations, businesses,
government institutions, and other stakeholders to collectively build a vision and develop strategies to
create the best possible community for young children and their families. Best Start stakeholders
collaborate to improve the community’s policies, resources, and ser
Partnership are participating in ways that maximize their strengths, tap into their interests, and allow
them the opportunity to engage meaningfully in the goals and activities of the group.
● Represent Long Beach Forward and the objectives and policy positions of Best Start Central
Long Beach in coalitions, to decision makers, and to the general public.
● Convene and act as lead facilitator for the Best Start Community Partnership, Leadership Team,
and other groups as applicable.
○ Support stakeholders in identifying and achieving the goals of the Community
○ Identify and recruit new stakeholders to participate in the Community Partnership.
○ Identify appropriate leadership opportunities, training, and development needs for
parents, partner organizations, and allies.
○ Work to create intentionally multiracial and multilingual spaces for parents in the
○ Maintain knowledge of policies and practices related to the 0-5 population and their
○ Promote shared leadership.
● Ensure and track participation in relevant meetings, trainings, and events.
● Identify opportunities, including technical assistance from First 5 LA, to increase policy- and
systems-change advocacy and organizing amongst politically-marginalized parents, partner
organizations, and allies.
● Ensure all work is performed in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
● Maintain positive relationships and communication with a diverse set of stakeholders.
● Participate in other Long Beach Forward meetings and community events as required.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Significant education, organizing experience, and knowledge of the Central Long Beach
community that would enable candidate to inform, represent, and lead efforts of the Best Start
● Issue-based organizing experience that includes one-on-one organizing, coalition building,
meeting/group facilitation, and delivery of skills- and/or issue-based training.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish (verbal and written with some translation capability).
● Ability to build new relationships and work with diverse groups, especially in communities
represented in Central Long Beach.
● Passion for community organizing and social-justice issues, especially as it relates to supporting
children and their families.
● Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both in writing and verbally, relaying
complicated information in a straightforward, and culturally and linguistically appropriate
● Familiarity with Long Beach’s political landscape and issues relevant to low-income
communities of color in Long Beach.
● Success in prioritizing and meeting multiple demands and deadlines.
● Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently, manage own work and
time, and be accountable for performance.
● Technologically proficient, especially with email, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, and
● Reliable access to transportation (car not required).
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Ariel Halstead, Office Administrator, Long Beach
Forward. You may email documents to email@example.com or deliver them to our office at 920 Atlantic
Ave., Suite 102, Long Beach, CA 90813. Applications received by the end of the day (11:59PM) on
Sunday, May 6th will be prioritized.
For more information, please visit: www.bhclongbeach.org. We are going through a change of names
and are releasing our new website this summer. In the meantime, you can check out @MoveLBForward
on all the social-media channels for more information. Community Partners® is an equal opportunity
employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for
employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of
the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds
and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve.