Administrative Assistant (South Asian Network)
SOUTH ASIAN NETWORK (SAN), ARTESIA, CA
The South Asian Network (SAN) is a 28-year old grassroots, community-based, nonprofit organization
dedicated to advancing the health, well-being, and civil rights of South Asians living in Southern
California. It is the only South Asian organization of its kind, providing outreach, direct
services, and advocacy in three key areas: health and well-being, civic engagement, and violence
prevention and intervention. SAN embraces the diversity of the South Asian American community as
strength and builds unity among South Asian immigrants in Southern California that does not exist
in South Asia itself. It also strives to build alliances among the South Asian community, other
immigrant communities, and communities of color in order to advance a shared progressive agenda for
The SAN team is composed of highly dedicated, resourceful, accomplished and diverse individuals who
are passionate about issues such as social justice, empowerment, and diversity and inclusivity.
While our work atmosphere is casual, we employ the utmost levels of professionalism, excellence and
integrity in our work. For more information about SAN, visit www.southasiannetwork.org.
About the Administrative Assistant Role:
Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
The Administrative Assistant at SAN is in many ways, the backbone of our organization. She/he/they
are the first face our clients see when they walk through our doors, the voice they hear when they
call us, and the person who keeps our office/organization running efficiently and smoothly. While
this is an entry-level position, there is significant opportunity for growth for the right
candidate, including extensive exposure and engagement with our program units. This is a great role
for someone who is passionate about making a difference in the South Asian American community in
Southern California, is interested in gaining nonprofit management experience, and willing to be
challenged and grow in a dynamic, sometimes fast-paced environment. Candidates who apply must be
comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds, be detail-oriented, self-sufficient, and
The Administrative Assistant will report to the Executive Director and Deputy Director.
The responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant include, but are not limited to:
• Answering and directing phone calls;
• Filling out intake forms and directing clients to appropriate program units;
• Organizing and scheduling appointments;
• Planning meetings and taking detailed minutes;
• Writing and distributing email, correspondence memos, letters, faxes, and forms;
• Assisting in the preparation of regularly scheduled reports;
• Updating and maintaining office policies and procedures;
• Ordering office supplies and researching new deals and suppliers;
• Maintaining contact lists;
• Booking travel arrangements;
• Processing incoming and outgoing checks, bank deposits, and expense receipts;
• Onboarding new employees;
• Assisting with event planning and logistics;
• Coordinating maintenance of all office equipment;
• Handling and distributing incoming and outgoing mail; and last, but not least:
• Serving as an effective representative of South Asian Network and the South Asian community
In an eight-hour workday, the employee must be able to bend and crouch occasionally, sit
continuously and stand or walk frequently.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma.
• Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
• Working knowledge of office equipment, like printers and fax machines.
• Detail oriented, with strong organizational skills, able to manage multiple projects
simultaneously, and prioritize tasks effectively.
• Ability to complete timely, confidential, and ethically appropriate documentation.
• Comfort and competence in working independently as well as part of a team.
• Strong PC skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint, in particular).
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
• Problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weeknights and weekends
• Valid California driver’s license, insurance, and automobile that may be used during working
• Ability to support the mission and philosophy of the South Asian Network.
• Bilingual skills (English + South Asian language) strongly preferred;
• Previous experience working with the South Asian community strongly preferred; and
• Understanding of technology, including volunteer and client databases.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume with salary expectations, and non-academic writing
sample to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The South Asian Network an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All
individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.