Part-time Bookkeeper (Historical Society of Long Beach)
Part-time Bookkeeper Position Description
A successful candidate for this position will have knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices, generally accepted accounting principles, Quick Books, and Excel. Candidates must be proficient in English. A background check will be performed for candidates who have a signed offer letter.
The bookkeeper position is part time, hourly, and non-exempt. The bookkeeper creates financial transactions. Posting information to Quick Books from invoices, cash receipts, membership renewals, contributions, and other income sources. The bookkeeper reconciles accounts to ensure their accuracy. The bookkeeper will maintain donation records using PastPerfect database and excel spreadsheets for specific campaigns. The applicant will follow HSLB’s established chart of accounts to perform all accounts payable and receivable functions. The bookkeeper will interact with the entire HSLB Staff, and occasionally Board Members, and external accounting firm. The bookkeeper maybe asked to work special events.
- Pay supplier invoices in a timely manner
- Pay debts as they comes due for payment
- Issue invoices to customers and donors
- Collect sales taxesfrom customers and remit them to the government
- Ensure that receivables are collected promptly
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account, credit card, PayPal, and Square
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Maintain the petty cash fund
- Provide information to the external accountant
- Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements
- Maintain an orderly physical accounting filing system
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain the annual budget
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Record payroll and possibly process payroll using ADP
- Record dues and contributions using PastPerfect software
- Maintain spreadsheets for specific campaigns
- Participate in streamlining operations and business development
- Provide support to Executive Director as assigned
The bookkeeper is eligible for sick leave and will accrue 1 hour for every 30 hours worked; accrual is capped at 48 hours.
10 hours weekly, work days to be arranged
Send resume and cover letter to JulieB@hslb.org by March 5th. No phone calls please.