Director of Development (California Conference for Equality and Justice)
Director of Development
The California Conference for Equality and Justice (CCEJ) is a human relations organization in southern California dedicated to eliminating bias, bigotry and racism through education, conflict resolution, and advocacy. One person at a time, we build awareness and knowledge to make real systemic change in our schools, businesses, and communities.
We are at an exciting juncture as an organization. In recent years we have greatly increased our programmatic impact and geographic reach. CCEJ has also grown the size, staffing, and infrastructure of our organization. We are poised for future growth in this historic moment.
We are recruiting a Director of Development to join our team. This position will report to the Executive Director. The Director of Development be responsible for leading CCEJ’s comprehensive fund development efforts to meet income goals and help enhance key development strategies (including individual and corporate giving). The Director of Development will oversee the development team (currently two people). As part of the Leadership Team, this person will work closely with the Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, and Board leadership in strategy, supporting their fund development efforts, and building a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
Development Planning and Assessment
- Oversee design and lead execution of annual and long-term development planning including setting income goals and outlining strategies that focus the efforts (in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors). Strategies include:
- Individual giving
- Grants (foundation, corporate, government)
- Fundraising events and sponsorships
- Develop and oversee the annual development budget
- Develop metrics to track and assess success and cost effectiveness of the development efforts. Provide Executive Director and Board of Directors with analysis and reporting on progress towards the development plan goals and current trends in the field.
- Collaborate with the Board leadership and Executive Director in building Board engagement and productivity, including assistance in identifying and cultivating new Board members
Major Donor and Individual Gifts
- Direct and grow the individual giving strategy and efforts, including major donors, program fundraising campaigns, direct mail, and online giving
- Oversee identification of individual prospects and cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors
- Provide support to and train staff, Board, and Board committees in individual giving efforts
- Proactively produce reports and analyses of donor data and campaigns to help inform strategies
- Produce materials and tools to use in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship that clearly communicate CCEJ’s case for support, program impact, and organization vision
Corporate and Foundation Fundraising
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with local and regional corporate entities and identify new opportunities for partnerships and sponsorships
- Develop and manage relationships with funders including foundations and local and statewide government sources
- Manage staff and contract grant writers in meeting foundation and government income goals
Development Team and Operations
- Manage the development team effectively to achieve development plan goals, and build team capacity through professional development opportunities, providing performance reviews, and appropriate recognition
- Work with development team to build, refine and implement efficient and effective development-related systems and procedures
- Supervise ongoing donor and gift record-keeping within e-Tapestry software and organization files. Ensure timely and effective gift processing and acknowledgements.
- Support the Special Events Director in meeting event benchmarks and ensure tie in of special events to holistic fund development plan
- Collaborate in donor and sponsor cultivation and acquisition and develop pathways for event donors to engage in CCEJ as a whole
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum seven years of nonprofit development experience
- Proven track record with comprehensive fundraising strategies, including individual giving, corporate giving, foundations, and special events
- Proven ability to manage simultaneous projects
- Supervisory skills, ability to lead and motivate a team, and experience in working with and engaging Boards of Directors
Qualifications for this Position:
- Strong commitment to CCEJ’s mission and work
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, and complete tasks
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail are expected
- Excellent oral, presentation, and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate CCEJ’s mission and work with diverse communities and stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create positive, long-term working relationships
- Ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to team work and customer service, confidentiality, reliability, tact and flexibility
- Strong computer skills
- Experience working with donor management software (such as E-Tapestry) a plus
- Willingness and ability to travel to meetings and other organization events
CCEJ will offer a competitive salary between $80,000-$90,000 based on experience. Benefits include medical coverage, paid holidays, vacation, and sick time.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Daniel Solis at firstname.lastname@example.org
In subject line please enter: Director of Development